Finance Director (part-time)
This position manages the day-to-day financial operation of The Discovery Center and oversees all Museum accounts. The Finance Director is responsible for account maintenance, financial statement and budget preparation, and financial analysis to assist management in organizational oversight. The position requires deep knowledge of nonprofit accounting practices, 5+ years of experience in an executive level financial management role, and strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Ensure the integrity of accounting information by reviewing and verifying transactions, ledgers, schedules, and reporting systems.
• Responsible for establishing and maintaining accounting practices and banking relationships.
• Apply accounting guidance to ensure GAAP compliance.
• Oversee the cash and investment needs of the organization.
• Communicate with organization’s Executive Director and Board of Directors regarding all financial matters.
• Works closely with the Executive Director to manage the overall operations and administration of The Discovery Center.
• Review documentation and schedules for internal and external reporting.
• Assist with monthly and fiscal period close.
• Oversee organization’s annual audit.
• Supervise staff handling accounts payable, inventory, cash receipts and other duties.
• Oversee liability, auto or medical insurance.
• Oversee and review payroll and time reporting.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
This position is a 30-hour per week, nonexempt position and reports to the Executive Director.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or other related area.
• 5+ years of experience in an executive level financial management role
• Highly developed analytical, problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Commitment to working collaboratively with the Executive Director, the Board of Directors,
staff, committee members, and other supporters.
• Impeccable integrity and a positive “can do” attitude.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Keen awareness and sensitivity to confidentiality of DCST’s information.
• High attention to detail and accuracy.
• Experience with nonprofit accounting.
• Knowledge of inventory accounting and controls.
• Expert in QuickBooks & Point Of Sale software.
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to: director@TheDiscoveryCenter.org
Pre-Kindergarten Lead Teacher
The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier seeks a Pre-Kindergarten Lead Teacher to develop and implement educational programs in a preschool setting for 4 year old children. In this role, you will create lesson plans and syllabi for a classroom of up to twenty one (21) children. You will be responsible for consistently monitoring all children to ensure safety. The afternoon session in the Pre-Kindergarten classroom is a Universal Pre-Kindergarten program sponsored by the Binghamton City School District. The UPK program follows a kindergarten readiness curriculum supplied by the BCSD and State of New York.
The ideal candidate will be creative, a team player, have an ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, and have an understanding of issues that may arise with young children. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have proven experience in planning curriculum for and management of a preschool classroom.
- NYS Early Childhood Teacher (Birth – Grade 2) Certificate
NYS Students with Disabilities (Birth – Grade 2) Certificate
Bachelor’s degree in ECE or a related field AND have a written five year plan for becoming certified
- Knowledge of lesson planning, development and implementation
- Classroom management skills for preschool age children
- 5+ years of teaching experience
- 2+ years of curriculum development
- Commensurate with experience
- Monday-Friday, 7:30AM-3:30PM during the school year (September-June) with breaks for holidays
- This position is nonexempt and reports to the Director of Education
- Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to: APaterson@TheDiscoveryCenter.org
The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.